30.4.07

Björk's Volta - initial thoughts



It usually takes me a while to digest Björk's works. This is the certainly going to be the case w/ Volta as well. What I can say is that "Wanderlust" is very good. Also, this album juxtaposes a vast array of organic sounds (brass, Guqin (maybe)pipa, and acoustic guitars) w/ extremely distorted and dissonant synths. It's partially b/c of such a juxtaposition that I like "Wanderlust" so much.

I am, however, disappointed w/ Antony Hegarty's vox on 2 tracks ("Dull Flame of Desire" and "My Juvenile"). She should have used Mike Patton or Thom Yorke again.

Songs like "Innocence" and "Hope" remind me a lot of Post. This, while "Declare Independence" vies w/ NIN's "The Great Destroyer" or other songs from Year Zero for most noisy song of the year. I sincerely doubt that I'll end up thinking Volta surpasses Year Zero as the best album of the year so far. I'm still waiting to hear the new albums from Smashing Pumpkins, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, Radiohead, and Metallica. It would really be nice if I could find some new and good artists, but I'm not about to get my hopes up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Volta has pushed nearly all the right buttons with me so far. The definite flashes of previous albums undermines its originality somewhat, but the recycling of the very few bits I liked about Drawing Restraint 9 have charmed me with the constant nostalgia. 'Pneumonia' is an astonishing song, as is 'Vertebrae by Vertebrae', and 'Innocence' harkens back to fond Homogenic days.

Anthony's contridutions are pretty weak, but his feature on 'My Juvenile' works much more than the rather boring 'Dull Flame of Desire'

Volta is definitely more accessible than the last few Bjork records, which is a blessing and a curse. I'm happy with its energy, though. Seeing these tracks live is going to be awesome.

hikage said...

Yeah, Anthony's work on "My Juvenile" is at least tolerable. I can't say I'm a big fan of "Earth Intruders," but "Wanderlust," "Pneumonia," "I See Who You Are," and "Declare Independence" (despite its rather bland lyrics) are my favorites so far.

You're right about the accessibility of this album, but I'm still thinking I might end up liking Medúlla better.